Monday 19 March 2007

The road to self-discovery

The above pic and quote were sent to me the other day, and its so true.

Often we try to be the person others perceive us or want us to be, rather than remaining true to ourselves.

I spent many years trying to aspire to be the person who I thought others would accept and love, only to discover that this 'person' was only a shell. I didn't really know how to be her.

It was only after I had a health scare last year, that I threw caution to the wind and decided to get to know the real me.


This is probably one of the most confrontational things I've every done in my life. Taking a good, long, hard look at oneself isn't a walk in the park.

But after I looked beyond the superficial, and started to look deeper, I liked this woman.

She had compassion, strength and had a wacky sense of humour. I found that I drew people to me with whom I felt comfortable. For the first time in my life I didn't feel like an outsider.

Yes, I'm a little wacky, don't fit any of the usual stereotypes - but that is part of the beauty of being me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this! I have dedicated myself to my journey of self-discovery.
It's wonderful when you're finally "comfortable in your own skin"....isn't it?

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

I am with bohemian mom